Postpone 1st chemo until after trip abroad???

My Mum is otherwise in good health and we have a trip to Paris planned in 4 weeks. She is scheduled to begin chemo in less than a week and we are unsure what is in her best interests.

She has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her brain. We found out about 6 weeks ago. Obviously, we do not know how she will respond to treatment, although from what I know I'm hearing, she will be more prone to infections and blood clotting (in the air), at the very least. Given that her cancer is so advanced, it makes sense to get a head start with treatment asap, which would undoubtedly be the case, if it weren't for our trip. Mum is 68 and has never been out of the UK!

Our choice is either postpone chemo for 5 weeks so that it wont intefere with her ability to enjoy herself, or go ahead with 1st chemo treatment and keep fingers crossed that she doesnt become unwell. I would appreciate any feedback on what others have experienced in this regard!

Parents
  • My opinion would be to go on holiday.  As you say your mum wants to go, and at the end of the day it should be her decision.  If you take that away from her now she may get quite depresse and she needs to start chemotherapy , perhaps, with some good memories of her first trip abroad.

Reply
  • My opinion would be to go on holiday.  As you say your mum wants to go, and at the end of the day it should be her decision.  If you take that away from her now she may get quite depresse and she needs to start chemotherapy , perhaps, with some good memories of her first trip abroad.

Children
No Data