Postpone 1st chemo until after trip abroad???

My Mum is otherwise in good health and we have a trip to Paris planned in 4 weeks. She is scheduled to begin chemo in less than a week and we are unsure what is in her best interests.

She has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her brain. We found out about 6 weeks ago. Obviously, we do not know how she will respond to treatment, although from what I know I'm hearing, she will be more prone to infections and blood clotting (in the air), at the very least. Given that her cancer is so advanced, it makes sense to get a head start with treatment asap, which would undoubtedly be the case, if it weren't for our trip. Mum is 68 and has never been out of the UK!

Our choice is either postpone chemo for 5 weeks so that it wont intefere with her ability to enjoy herself, or go ahead with 1st chemo treatment and keep fingers crossed that she doesnt become unwell. I would appreciate any feedback on what others have experienced in this regard!

Parents
  • Only you know the full facts of your mums health. However I would go as planned and postpone the Chemo or bring your holiday forward. (even better option) I missed the opportunity with my dad in a similar situation and we never did get to go. He became very ill with the chemo which he abandoned and afterwards was too weak with the illness to make any further trips. It really is a once in a lifetime trip dont miss it. Wishing you and your mum all the best in this difficult time.

Reply
  • Only you know the full facts of your mums health. However I would go as planned and postpone the Chemo or bring your holiday forward. (even better option) I missed the opportunity with my dad in a similar situation and we never did get to go. He became very ill with the chemo which he abandoned and afterwards was too weak with the illness to make any further trips. It really is a once in a lifetime trip dont miss it. Wishing you and your mum all the best in this difficult time.

Children
No Data