Possible recurrence of lung cancer

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience to me.  I was diagnosed with Stage IIIA lung cancer in November last year. My first chest scan in September showed  a patch of 'ground glass opacity '.  I was prescribed with Doxycycline as the medics thought I might have pneumonia which often presents in this way.  A post antibiotic scan showed that the 'ground glass' was still there and it was then that a biopsy revealed non small cell lung cancer.  I had two lobes resected from my right lung in January of this year.   At my six month scan in July another patch of 'ground glass opacity' was found on the remaining lobe in my right lung.  Like last time I have been put on antibiotics and steroids, in case it's an infection or inflammation. In my mind it could clearly be a recurrence of cancer, as that's how it presented last time.  The doctor said that I will be scanned again in early October.  I feel that a biopsy may be advisable  now, as another two months is a long time to sit with the uncertainty.  I realise that I have been lucky in some ways to not have had operations cancelled, but this doesn't seem to me to be the best way of responding to a potential recurrence.  

Parents
  • Thanks very much for your reply Lucie.  I think I will try to contact the Consultant tomorrow to request a biopsy on the 'ground glass opacity '.  I have finished the antibiotics and steroids and am still coughing. It seems a reasonable request, given this is how the cancer presented last time. If he sticks to his position of waiting another 7 weeks for a scan I can always ask for a second opinion, as you mention.  

    Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

    Bluette

Reply
  • Thanks very much for your reply Lucie.  I think I will try to contact the Consultant tomorrow to request a biopsy on the 'ground glass opacity '.  I have finished the antibiotics and steroids and am still coughing. It seems a reasonable request, given this is how the cancer presented last time. If he sticks to his position of waiting another 7 weeks for a scan I can always ask for a second opinion, as you mention.  

    Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

    Bluette

Children
No Data