Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. What's next and when?

UPDATE:  Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy carried out a week ago. Recovery unremarkable apart from a rash and feeling of irritation in arm pit, which I assume is nerves?  Wondered how long after healing the radiotherapy and tamoxifen begins? 

 

 

Hi, I wondered if I can opt for mastectomy and reconstruction if option not initially given, also can I ask for ' healthy breast to be removed and reconstructed?? 

Initial option is lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy and hormonal therapy.  I await MRI then I'm guessing this will be finalised?  It is early stage which is positive.  I think I just would like to irradicate any further problems.

I'm thinking ahead I know, that's why I'd appreciate any advice. 

UPDATE* 

Ive been told I need my other Brest investigated as a lump showed on MRI. This may be from old cyst excision but will see after further ultrasound and possible biopsies. 

The consultant flatly talked me down from total removal and reconstruction and this of course was not what I'd hoped to hear. With a date for lumpectomy of original cancer and possiblity of another, I'm at a loss? There's not much time for getting this right. Do I need to engage with Breast nurses on my thoughts or just be told what I can I can't 

Parents
  • Hello Bassetmum and thanks for your post

    I think that some surgeons will be reluctant to remove a healthy breast, unless there was a very high risk of developing another breast cancer. For example, women who carry the inherited faulty genes that significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. So unless you have a faulty gene or have a very strong family history of breast cancer a mastectomy would not be recommended purely on the grounds of your physical health.There are also benefits and disadvantages of having an immediate breast reconstruction which you can read this by clicking here.

    The reason why the surgeon may be reluctant is because research suggests that for most women who have had cancer in one breast there is no survival advantage in having the other breast removed ( a contralateral prophylactic mastectomy) . So it could be argued that it is an unnecessary operation. But the best thing to do is to talk this through further with your breast team.

    Again,do talk this through with your breast care team.

    I hope this helps

    Kind regards,

    Celene

  • My surgeon gave me the option of lumpectomy and radiotherapy or mastectomy. 

  • Than you for your reply.  I'm so of the mindset that I'd like both removed regardless. Off for MRI and will see surgeon next week to ask about this. 

    Thanks again. 

  • [@Jolamine]‍ on here did exactly what you are proposing but she had had a recurrance. Good luck with whatever you decide going forwards. 

  • Hi there. These are tough decisions and you our medical team will be best people to help advise your decision. 

    My mom died of secondary aggressive Cancer, my sister had stage one but opted to have both breasts removed as she felt like you. I had stage 2 and had lumpectomy with radiation and on tamoxifen. I did alot of reading and asked alot of questions but did not have mastectomy. 

    Ultimately choice is yours - it's your body but each cancer is unique as we all are. Your medical team will consider all options and are normally best equipped with your case/information. 

    I do hope it works out best for what you want. Keep us posted and hope your appt goes ok.

Reply
  • Hi there. These are tough decisions and you our medical team will be best people to help advise your decision. 

    My mom died of secondary aggressive Cancer, my sister had stage one but opted to have both breasts removed as she felt like you. I had stage 2 and had lumpectomy with radiation and on tamoxifen. I did alot of reading and asked alot of questions but did not have mastectomy. 

    Ultimately choice is yours - it's your body but each cancer is unique as we all are. Your medical team will consider all options and are normally best equipped with your case/information. 

    I do hope it works out best for what you want. Keep us posted and hope your appt goes ok.

Children
No Data