Taking a break from MOGA infusions to have a hip replacement. Has anyone else been in this position? What did you do?

Hi, I have a form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma called Sezary Syndrome and have regular fortnightly  immunotherapy infusions of a drug called Mogamulizumab (MOGA for short). This is not a cure but for the moment  keeps my cancer under control though the downside is that it supresses my immune system.  Unconnected with the cancer, I have an arthritic hip which has reached the point of needing a hip replacement operation.  To have the op I will need to stop my MOGA infusions for maybe as long as two months to build up my immune system in case I get an infection during the operation.  I'm in pain with the hip and would like to have the replacement operation but I am worried about stopping my MOGA in case it leads to a resurgence of my Sezary Syndrome.  Any one had any similar experience?  Got any thoughts please?

Parents
  • Hello andycc

    I'm sorry to hear about the dilemma that you find yourself facing. It's understandable that you want to be able to move ahead with the surgery, especially if you are dealing with pain every day, but it's equally understandable that you're concerned about having this halt in MOGA treatment to prepare for the operation. 

    Have you spoken with your NHL specialist about your concerns and how things might be monitored if you decide to go ahead with the hip replacement? Have they been able to give you any reassurance about things? It's certainly worth talking with your specialist before you make a decision. 

    If it would help to chat with one of our nurses for some advice and support, you're most welcome to give them a call. I know they will be happy to listen and offer any information and guidance they can. They're available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

    I do hope that you're able to reach a decision that you feel comfortable with andycc. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. 

    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

  • Thanks Jenn for the reply.  I have spoken to the oncologist and the surgeon and they are both leaving the decision to me. I’m minded to go ahead and get it done asap, mainly because it has been particularly painful these last few days.  Thanks again.

    Andy

  • Hi Andycc

    It sounds like you've made up your mind, which is good to hear. Onwards now with the prehab before the surgery, and hopefully within a few months you'll be up and about, mobile and pain-free again. 

    Sending my best wishes for everything!

    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

Reply Children
No Data