Oncology, does that mean definite chemotherapy?

Hi all

I have stage 2 grade 2 breast cancer with a positive node. I have had a lumpectomy and cavity shave and was told yesterday they have achieved clear margins, thank goodness! I was led to believe that my next steps would be radiotherapy and tamoxifen (I'm 47) but I was told yesterday that the outcome of the MDT was that I should have an appointment with an oncologist to discuss.

I was previously a bit surprised that I wouldn't have chemo given the node involvement but despite that I was still a bit shocked when it suddenly became a possibility. However, the nurse said she couldn't tell me anything further about the MDT discussion as I need to speak to the oncologist.

So now I am waiting for an appointment (always waiting!) and still feeling completely uncertain about what the next steps are. I know if I am given a choice I will take chemo - psychologically I think the 'chuck everything at it' approach will give me greater peace of mind, but I can't help feeling like I'd rather just be told whether I NEED it or not. Such a complete mishmash of contradictory emotions :( 

My mother died of BC at 38 having been diagnosed at 29 (I was 8 when she died) so I suspect it may be my family history that is raising question marks about my treatment plan. 

I was just wondering what choices other people have made and if they are happy with their decision?

Parents
  • I was told by my breast consultant surgeon that there were various options after my lumpectomy and axillary lymph node clearance. I could have chemotherapy but she thought it would be harsh for someone of my age (81) but radiotherapy followed by a hormone blocking tablet were in her opinion the best route forward. However I was told that there would be an appointment with the oncologist and he would discuss chemotherapy, bisphosphonates and immunotherapy treatment. I asked him what would be the difference in potential effectiveness of chemotherapy versus radiotherapy and he said 5%so I confirmed that radiotherapy was my preference and I have finished my 20 sessions. The oncologist gave me a precription for Letrozole and Adcal d3. I am continuing to take Letrozole despite its side effects but have temporarily abandoned Adcal until I see my GP in two days' time because of its effect on my bowels. I shall ask my doctor if I can have a blood calcium test to check if extra calcium is strictly necessary. I received a letter, with copy to my GP, recommending that I should be prescribed the bisphosphonate alendronic acid. This matter was supposed to be discussed at a later date with the oncologist, not forced on me without adequate discussion.

    You are right to have queries about your future treatment. For me it is a matter of personal choice because I want to live out the rest of my days feeling I can cope without having my system burdened by excessive medication. I can tolerate the Letrozole despite the unwelcome side effect of permanent indigestion and occasional abdominal pain. I already suffer from fibromyalgia and the resultant walking difficulty so I shall reject taking other powerful drugs. I have come to this decision after looking at all the pros and cons and the risk of recurrence. When you see your oncologist I hope you are given all the necessary information and enough time to consider what is the right thing for you.

    Wishing you good luck

    Anne. 

Reply
  • I was told by my breast consultant surgeon that there were various options after my lumpectomy and axillary lymph node clearance. I could have chemotherapy but she thought it would be harsh for someone of my age (81) but radiotherapy followed by a hormone blocking tablet were in her opinion the best route forward. However I was told that there would be an appointment with the oncologist and he would discuss chemotherapy, bisphosphonates and immunotherapy treatment. I asked him what would be the difference in potential effectiveness of chemotherapy versus radiotherapy and he said 5%so I confirmed that radiotherapy was my preference and I have finished my 20 sessions. The oncologist gave me a precription for Letrozole and Adcal d3. I am continuing to take Letrozole despite its side effects but have temporarily abandoned Adcal until I see my GP in two days' time because of its effect on my bowels. I shall ask my doctor if I can have a blood calcium test to check if extra calcium is strictly necessary. I received a letter, with copy to my GP, recommending that I should be prescribed the bisphosphonate alendronic acid. This matter was supposed to be discussed at a later date with the oncologist, not forced on me without adequate discussion.

    You are right to have queries about your future treatment. For me it is a matter of personal choice because I want to live out the rest of my days feeling I can cope without having my system burdened by excessive medication. I can tolerate the Letrozole despite the unwelcome side effect of permanent indigestion and occasional abdominal pain. I already suffer from fibromyalgia and the resultant walking difficulty so I shall reject taking other powerful drugs. I have come to this decision after looking at all the pros and cons and the risk of recurrence. When you see your oncologist I hope you are given all the necessary information and enough time to consider what is the right thing for you.

    Wishing you good luck

    Anne. 

Children
No Data