Hi,
I'd like to connect with anyone living with advanced thyroid cancer (non- Medullary).
Many thanks.
Hi,
I'd like to connect with anyone living with advanced thyroid cancer (non- Medullary).
Many thanks.
Hey MungoSlugsieScoot, Lucie is right I am currently dealing with follicular variant of papillary thyroid cancer, have had Radio iodine treatment as was a positive margin with lymphovascular space invasion, currently waiting for the results which were supposed to be on the 10th April but have been moved to the 2nd may for some reason which is horrible.
I have currently just lost my voice with no sore throat and have been having achy pains in left side neck so rang consultant oncologist secretary to inform for advice.
What stage in the process are you in? Any questions ask away I'll do my best to answer from my experience so far
hi Trinitytrace
thank you so much for your reply. I’m sorry to hear of your cancer and the delay in your follow up. Sooo frustrating for you. Your symptoms are very different t to mine but I hope they can be dealt with soon.
I have both differentiated and poorly differentiated papillary (follicular variant) thyroid cancer. Diagnosed after a cranioplasty to remove what was, at the time, thought to be a large benign brain tumour in 2022. This turned out to be differentiated follicular variant papillary thyroid cancer. Went on to have a total thyroidectomy in which they found poorly differentiated thyroid cancer, which is so rare NICE and Butterfly Thyroid Cancer, and other thyroid websites don’t mention it!I have lung and bone mets but no lymph involvement, as far as we know. I was diagnosed at stage 4. I’m on TSH suppression only, my oncologist (whom I don’t like and am trying to change) having decided RAI has not worked (having second opinion next month). He has withdrawn RAI and switched me to watch wait and see until I start to deteriorate when he’s going to offer me Lenvatinib. Currently have thyroglobulin levels of around 113, which is rising, but I have dropping thyroglobulin antibodies (9, down from 15…). Onco has only just now sent my tumour off for genomics…
I'm trying to find out if Lenvatinib is tolerable and if it’s felt to be worth trying. The way my oncologist has talked about it is very off putting. Sounds worse than chemo with no hope of cure I’m not sure I want take something that will keep me alive but trash my quality of life with little hope of returning to a good quality of life….but I may be misinterpreting this…
The confusing thing is that, as far as they can tell I only have two tiny/small active tumours, 1 in my lung and one in my rib (6mm and 2.5cm) which are very slow growing (2mm a year). I have asked if the two small tumours can’t be zapped with ERBT or surgery but been told I will never be offered surgery! I do have further lung nodules but they are dormant at present.
The only symptoms I have had recently are fatigue ambushes, am more prone to chest infections and I’m struggling more with arthritis and musculoskeletal problems!!! But I’m still working, exercising and getting out and about….
Im putting on weight like there’s tomorrow, which I’m finding very frustrating!
Oh my I'm so sorry you going through this. That is alot your dealing with. Can I ask why can't you have surgery to remove the lung met?
I am also gaining weight sooo much, I am either sooo tired or can't actually sleep which is annoying as I'm still working.
Hi mungo I had a similar situation last year with my oncologist when my last RAI didn't light up on my scan they decided I was possibly refractory to it. They discussed Lenvatinib with me and the side effects did sound terrifying, I had a really dark time for the first time in 7 years with thyroid cancer and did a lot of research. Some good points I learned that really helped me were I met a lot of people who are on Lenvatinib and have been for years and stable, yes the side effects can be tough but they do calm down in most people. The fact that this drug was not available 5 years ago is also huge, because new drugs are coming out fast for thyroid cancer. You are getting genetic testing which is SO important! Mine at the end of last year showed RET mutation which opened up so many more drug options, so if you get a mutation back that could really help. Sit down and talk to your oncologist, I had a full chat with mine about how I was feeling and he talked me through it, ultimately when you go onto any kind of drug or treatment is your decision and not there's, its your body and your choice, if you feel healthy then it's not the time. My other suggestion is look at a private referral and see if you can find the best thyroid cancer oncologist who specialises in advanced thyca. I know it's scary and I know getting used to levothyroxine and the weight, fatigue is so difficult but you will get to a good place. After last year I thought I wouldn't but I'm training for a marathon right and now and trying for a baby, living with cancer isn't like it use to be, it's more like living with a chronic disease. How much levo are you both on? Xx
Hi there, thanks for your reply,
I asked for surgery and my oncologist (who has labelled me as a “stressed and anxious patient!!!”) says I will never be brought in for surgery but would not say why- I’m guessing it is because of the lung nodules which are in both lung bases. But this is why I’m asking for a second opinion (have appointment next month at a hospital in London with someone who helped me write an article for the British Thyroid Foundation and who works quite a lot with them…)
I also asked about ERBT for my rib as I don’t understand why that is not an option, except that neither of these are mentioned in Nice guidance…but that’s all they are, guidelines. Some clinicians hide behind Nice guidelines to avoid doing things they could otherwise try, I feel…
I hear you about the fatigue and sleep problems. I’ve just thrown off, after 6 weeks a chest infection which completely drained me. I’m considering giving up work as have been advised to make the most of the next 6-12 months before they start me on Lenvatinib….
Do you mind me asking how old you are? And how quickly is your thyroglobulin going up? Your oncologist sounds a bit useless to be honest! I know plenty of people working while taking lenvatinib
Thank you so much for your reply. Really helpful info about Lenvatinib and advice. I wish I could sit down with my oncologist but we really don’t get on. He’s more slippery than a politician with is replies and keeps telling me to “be chill” or be “patient”! He’s pegged me as “stressed and anxious”. I have asked to be moved to another onco as I really don’t feel supported. His attitude se s to be that I’m lucky to have had the treatment I’ve already had and should be grateful. Hopefully I’ll get further with the other Onco.
I’m so glad you are in a so much better place. I’m on quite high doses of thyroxine 150mg a day, which I think is contributing to the fatigue. I’m finding that I get ambushed with fatigue at around 11am, 3pm between 4-6pm and feel ready for bed at about 7pm. However, if I eat a whole meal with meat and two veg, I rally and can keep going til 10pm etc. am trying to think of foods high in protein that I can graze on to reduce the crashes. I’m also trying to follow my specialist onco physio’s advice to “earn” my rest and do 5x1/2 hour cardio or strength training sessions a week. Am struggling to do this but I think it is helping with my stamina.
Am thinking of getting myself medically retired but I’m an nhs employee and the NHS has messed up my pension!!! You couldn’t make it up!!! All my healthcare team want me to stop working but we can’t afford all the nice things on my bucket list without a second income!!!
Your only on 150mg? That's not that high I've been on 225-250mg for a few years and it really helps with energy and weight. All though it has put my blood pressure up slightly. You definitely need a second opinion they sound awful. Hopefully the London hospital will have some ideas and hopefully your genetic markers will reveal something!
Your only on 150mg? That's not that high I've been on 225-250mg for a few years and it really helps with energy and weight. All though it has put my blood pressure up slightly. You definitely need a second opinion they sound awful. Hopefully the London hospital will have some ideas and hopefully your genetic markers will reveal something!
Yes, but we are achieving the TSH suppression we were after - they want it below 0.1 and mine is between 0.01 and 0.03…. I think they want to keep it as low as possible because of my history of heart palpitations….??
I’ve been told I have a tiny chance of a specific genetic marker called TNKR for which the only targeted therapy available is only available privately at a cost of $25,000 per 4week cycle!!!
I am so encouraged that you have been told of various targeted therapies available for RET mutations. Hopefully they will find a similar gene marker that has several treatment options.
I have RIA papillary thyroid cancer. I found out last week it has spread to my spine, its already in my lungs. I have to see my oncologist in 6 months and apply for other treatment. Whats keeping me awake is that I was told if I have pins and needles in my legs I should go to or call 999 straight away. Im now terrified nothing can be done for me.
Hi BarbieBuzz34,
im so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have two types of thyroid cancer but suffice to say it came from papillary thyroid cancer (follicular variant) and is also metastatic (lungs, skull/brain and rib). It’s a scary place to be and can be very isolating so welcome to our thread and I hope we can offer some comfort.
I was diagnosed 18 months ago and am still going strong. Obviously, each of us is different and our experiences will be very different but my cancer is refractory to RAI (not working) so I am concentrating on living as healthily as I can to stay strong whilst I await a second opinion as I’m not happy with my oncologist.. I am waiting for my genetic analysis results - the genetic mutations can inform the drug of choice for us. In the meantime, I Am trying to exercise 5 x 1/2 hour workouts/brisk walking a week whilst I await a second opinion at the Royal Marsden. Nordic walking is great!
Try not to worry. New drugs are coming out all the time and molecular therapy is showing a lot of promise. Have you thought of getting involved in research? There are three centres in the UK that carry out research into thyroid cancer - Oxford, Royal Marsden, and Cambridge. You can ask your consultant to refer you and don’t be afraid to ask for a second opinion.
Has your tumour been sent off for genetic analysis? Do you know which mutation you have?
I have done a lot of reading in the Lancet, BMJ, PubMed and it seems the best thing we can each of us do to stave this all off is to keep as fit and otherwise healthy as we can. Recommended exercise advice is 5x 1/2 hour moderate exercise a week. My team also recommend vitamin D or plenty of sunshine (ahem…) and vit C supplements and a very healthy diet. Ask your team or your local cancer support group for guidance on this.
”Speak” soon.