Breast cancer and pregnancy

Hi everyone, 

Im really looking for advice from people that may have been in my position and people emotionally removed from us to just give me advice straight down the line. If that makes sense. 

I’m newly diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer and it’s the type that thrives in hormone rich areas.

The doctors think (at this stage) I will need to have the lump removed (next week), then radiotherapy. Indicators so far are showing I shouldn’t need chemo but that’s not 100% yet. 

Now my question comes in that, the hospital have told me I have to go onto tamoxifen for 10 years once radiotherapy is done. When on this drug you cannot get pregnant and it suppresses your hormones anyway and puts your body into a premenopausal state. I’m 35 now and myself and my husband are desperate for another baby. 

When I spoke to my consultant and fertility about all this, their solution is to come off of the tamoxifen after 3 years and give falling pregnant naturally a go. My concern is, is 38 is in another 3 years time - what if I’m menopausal by then naturally anyway and I’ve wasted 3 years taking this drug and miss our chance? 

i told the hospital I don’t think I will be taking the tamoxifen and I’ll take my chances re. Cancer if it means I can have another few years trying for a baby. 

Has anyone been in this situation or can offer any advice? I’m going out of my mind not knowing the best thing to do. If I had to go through this all again to have another baby I would do, so I’m pretty set on another baby. Sorry if that sounds childish or ungrateful to anyone it’s just how I feel right now. Probably a little naive. Just desperate for advice xxx

Parents
  • Hi Rolo,

    I don't envy you trying to decide. Can I ask what particular type of breast cancer you have? Have you asked your oncologist what the percentage difference would be with and without Tamoxifen?  What advice did you get from fertility? This is a decision that only you and your husband can make and it has to be one that you both feel comfortable with.

    Please keep in touch and let us know what your final decision is. We are always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

Reply
  • Hi Rolo,

    I don't envy you trying to decide. Can I ask what particular type of breast cancer you have? Have you asked your oncologist what the percentage difference would be with and without Tamoxifen?  What advice did you get from fertility? This is a decision that only you and your husband can make and it has to be one that you both feel comfortable with.

    Please keep in touch and let us know what your final decision is. We are always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

Children
No Data