waiting for lumpectomy

The waiting is driving me mad, it is a bout 6 weeks since i first found a lump. CP, then breast ultrasound, biospy and MRI. Lobular invasive cancer, measured 20mm at ultra sound MRI did not change plan of surgeon (although this showed the tumor to be bigger)  lumpectomy and biopsy of sentinel node, i think this is pretty standard, Does anyone know at what point (size of tumor) a mastectomy would be advised? I just wish I could stop my mind and think of something else!

Parents
  • It's really hard not to think about things and in some ways it's an opportunity to become informed I suppose. I have just had my lumpectomy but when the surgeon examined my breasts he said I would be a good candidate for breast reduction too. I was very lucky to get that surgery and not have to wait longer for it. My breasts are now much smaller but look ok. Where the cancer was removed there is an incision and dimpling  but it will improve. If they think you will still have a viable breast they do lumpectomy but I found that phrase a bit strange? What would that look like and how dissimilar would it be to my other breast. That was my experience and not sure how helpful that is but write down your questions and seek guidance. 

Reply
  • It's really hard not to think about things and in some ways it's an opportunity to become informed I suppose. I have just had my lumpectomy but when the surgeon examined my breasts he said I would be a good candidate for breast reduction too. I was very lucky to get that surgery and not have to wait longer for it. My breasts are now much smaller but look ok. Where the cancer was removed there is an incision and dimpling  but it will improve. If they think you will still have a viable breast they do lumpectomy but I found that phrase a bit strange? What would that look like and how dissimilar would it be to my other breast. That was my experience and not sure how helpful that is but write down your questions and seek guidance. 

Children
No Data