Newly diagnosed - bowel cancer

Hi all,

My diagnosis has gone from going to get a polyp removed to them not doing taking it out as it was suspicious!

Subsequently, I was told last Thursday, that it is cancer and I have a decision to make of whether to opt for Chemoradiotherapy or an operation to removed the section of the bowel, where the polyp is and reconnecting it. Unfortunately, the polyp is in a precarious position, as its literally at the point the bowel meets the rectum, so the risks seems greater re: side effects.

I appreciate everyone is different, but is there any advice, anybody could provide - pros/cons of each procedure? I have a final biopsy this week for the Oncologist to review but won't see my Consultant again for another week, but I'm struggling to decide as this has hit me like a huge wave!

Many thanks xx

  • Welcome to Cancer Chat Shazbang although I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and the difficult decision you now have to make.

    I hope this information we have about bowel cancer treatments will offer some insight in to the options that are available to you, but if you'd like to discuss this further with one of our cancer nurses, you can do so on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m. They're very supportive and will do all they can to work through this with you so you can make the decision that's right for you.

    Hopefully some of our members who have been in a similar situation will share their experiences and advice with you soon but in the meantime, we're thinking of you Shazbang and wishing you all the best for next week.

    Kind regards,

    Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

  • My polyp is in similar place Shazbang and I have to decide on ileostomy or colostomy. How are you doing.