Full or partial thyroid removal - cancer & cyst

Hello all,

I am awaiting surgery for papillary thyroid cancer, a very small growth, low risk etc etc. I need to tell them asap whether I want a lobectomy or full thyroidectomy. I feel the decision would be really clear cut if I didn't have a large-ish cyst on the other side - they'd just take half. The consultant seemed to be leaning towards taking the whole thing out, but I'm wary of being on Levothyroxine for the rest of my life if there's a chance I don't need to be. The cyst hasn't caused me any issues and wasn't even aspirated as the radiographer said not to bother if it wasn't affecting me. If I don't have it all out maybe I would have to eventually anyway? I also feel it would be more clear-cut with any other cancer that has a bigger risk of recurring but I've been told this type of cancer is so unlikely to that it's probably not a consideration when leaving tissue. Has anyone else had to decide themselves with a cyst complicating matters? Tbh I just don't feel informed enough to make this decision and I feel like if I choose wrong it's not a small thing, you know? I also appreciate it's still a great position to be in, considering.

Any info/experiences appreciated x

Parents Reply
  • Hiya,  I had partial thyroidectomy when I had an inconclusive abnormal biopsy result on a lump, turned out after to be follicular carcinoma so had to have full thyroidectomy, that was nearly 19yrs ago now and been on levothyroxine since, my sister also went through papillary last year with cysts on other side, and had the same option as you,  but because I'd already been through it and have coped well with levothyroxine she decided to opt for total thyroidectomy,  wouldn't say it was easy to begin with for me personally, but once the dose is right life is normal, hope all goes well for you.

    Lou x

Children