Grade 3 Thyroid lump - what is the vocal cord check like?

Hi everyone, I have lurked on here for a while since finding the lump on my thyroid back in I think June time. I eventually went to the doctors at the end of September, & was referred to ENT. 

Was found to have a 3cm lump on the right side of my thyroid, and was sent for a FNA towards the end of October. I never heard anything back for a long time so assumed all was well. At the beginning of December I rang the hospital to see if they had my results, & was informed I'd to go on Christmas Eve. Was told then I had a grade 3 tumour & would need partial thyroidectomy to find out for sure if cancer. Then on Christmas Day I caught Covid (all was well I've ctually had worse colds) but then missed my pre op as I was isolating. 

Never heard anything back from them so rang again to be told they had to wait so long after Covid due to risk of blood clots on lungs. So I informed them I was on holiday for 2 weeks in March so needed to be fit to drive.

They have just rang me to ask me in next Thursday for a vocal cord check, & to say my surgery is scheduled for the 8th April.

I'm feeling pretty good about it all & not overly worried about the results or the surgery. However I'm anxious about the vocal cord check, as I've heard it's a camera down the throat & I have a terrible gag reflex. Has anyone had this test & can tell me it's not as bad as I imagine?

Thank you

Parents
  • Hey,

    Please let me know how you get on. I also have a 3cm lump, U4, first biopsy not enough cells to test then second biopsy (core biopsy) result was consistent with a benign lump but second sentence was malignancy can't be excluded. I'm now waiting on their meeting to see if I can have surgery. Unlike you I am completely scared. How are you staying so calm? I also have a little baby x

  • I'm one for googling and basically everything says it's not a bad cancer to have (if it is cancer, and if you can say cancer isn't bad). I know the chance of recovery is extremely high and also still a very high chance that the lump is benign. Also having had a few surgeries I know that I generally recover well from anaesthesia. I'm obviously slightly nervous of the surgery but that's more because I hate needles so for me the biopsy was worse than the thought of surgery. I'm more worried about how I'll manage having to miss work and paying my bills and also not being able to walk my dog for a while. Its probably different for me as I don't have any children. 

    Just keep in your mind that the chance of malignancy is low and the rate of success very very high. 

    Keep in touch and let me know how you get on if you like. 

  • I will do, thank you. I've googled way too much and scared myself silly. Trying to keep calm but I find it near impossible and I know I'm just making everything worse. My core biopsy result is that the lump is consistent with a benign lesion but also that they can't rule out malignancy. I'm trying to take the benign bit positively but obviously there's still risk of cancer. I have to wait to hear next week what the next steps are. I hope they say surgery so that I can get it out and hopefully get an end to this stressful time.

Reply
  • I will do, thank you. I've googled way too much and scared myself silly. Trying to keep calm but I find it near impossible and I know I'm just making everything worse. My core biopsy result is that the lump is consistent with a benign lesion but also that they can't rule out malignancy. I'm trying to take the benign bit positively but obviously there's still risk of cancer. I have to wait to hear next week what the next steps are. I hope they say surgery so that I can get it out and hopefully get an end to this stressful time.

Children
No Data