Should it be me?

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with right breast IDC Grade 3 (aggressive). 1st Dec, I was told I need a second biopsy to find the nature of a small lesion which was hidden behind a 4cm tumor. My breast surgeon requested it as urgent and told me he would see me very soon for results where they would know the type, stage and what treatment to deal with it. 

I received a letter telling me to come to the breast clinic 22nd Dec. I thought this date was very far away for a 2nd biopsy procedure, but I was just glad things are moving. Since my diagnosis, I have experienced sharp stabbing like pains in the tumor area. I called my breast specialist today, who is absolutely brilliant!!!, just for advice. She was under the impression that a week had gone by and i'd already had my 2nd biopsy so, could I give radiology a call, mention its urgency and ask if I could have a date for a follow up biopsy as  22nd Dec is the date I go back to clinic for results.

I did as I was asked, to be told they are aware because it is on my notes as urgent, but there are no availble appointments (no matter how urgent!) 

Im obviously not going to refuse as I dont want to delay my treatment any further, but my question is....should it be me chasing the hospital for appointments? Is it my responsibility? But if I hadnt called today, my specialist would not have known and would have assumed Id already had the biopsy done, so she was glad I called on the off chance.

I have 15 days to 'play' with. Do I keep my 22nd Dec appointment? There will be no results to give. It takes around 2 weeks for results after the procedure.....but need procedure first!!!! 

Im not comfortable with all this especially since the word breast cancer and aggressive were used in the same sentence!

What do you think?

Would appreciate anyone experiencing the same setback or just some general advice.

Much love xx

Parents
  • Hello and thanks for posting, 

    I am sorry to learn about your recent diagnosis and that you are waiting for a second biopsy. I can appreciate that this is a stressful situation to be in.

    In an ideal world patients shouldn't have to have to chase up their appointments, and I am not sure if it is really fair to ask you, but it is probably a reflection of the pressure that the NHS is under just now.  I think you need to get back to your breast specialist, let them know what you were told when you called radiology, ask if this matters and what you should do about the appointment the week after next. 

    Waiting is seldom easy and I can understand anyone in this position feeling uneasy. I think the best course of action at the moment is to talk to the breast specialist and get their input.

    If you want to give us a ring to talk anything over please do, our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are around weekdays 9-5. 

    Best wishes,

    Julia

  • Hi Julia,

    I sent a post under a new heading "where has my lump gone?", but I haven't had a reply. Does this mean my question can't be answered by the nurses on here or do I have to refer back to my BCN?

    Warm regards

  • Hello i.love.life,

    Just to say I have posted on your other thread although as I think you anticipated, I can't answer your question properly. 

    All the best,

    Julia

Reply Children
No Data