Private Dermatologist rather than NHS

Hi

i have been referred on the two week urgent referral for a potential skin cancer, however in my areas the dermatologist unit is so delayed I still haven’t seen anyone after 3 weeks.

this week I decided to have a private appointment and they have told me that the lession  needs a biopsy which they can do next week. And I will get the results in 3 weeks. 

I have concerns if this will effect any NHS treatment that I may need following the biopsy, as I won’t be able to self fund cancer treatment if required, has anyone else done this or should I stick with the wait on the NHS referral system 

just worried as the lession is getting larger and not sure how much longer I can wait for treatment 

thanks for any advise 

Parents
  • Hello KTS

    There is a long wait at all dermatology departmenrs. Our NHS trust is around 9 months from getting GP referral to get treatment for BBC lesions but quicker if SCC or melanoma. Even paying privately there can be waits of several weeks. If you dont have the £900 to £1500 funds to pay for example a BCC removal and aftercare there is not much advantage to having the earlier diagnosis. You can ask for a price at your local private hospital. If you could pay it off over 12 months consider using a credit card. 

    Ed

Reply
  • Hello KTS

    There is a long wait at all dermatology departmenrs. Our NHS trust is around 9 months from getting GP referral to get treatment for BBC lesions but quicker if SCC or melanoma. Even paying privately there can be waits of several weeks. If you dont have the £900 to £1500 funds to pay for example a BCC removal and aftercare there is not much advantage to having the earlier diagnosis. You can ask for a price at your local private hospital. If you could pay it off over 12 months consider using a credit card. 

    Ed

Children
  • Hi you  don’t happen to know how long a wait for a melanoma would be on the NHS? 

    I can have the lession removed next week privately and they told me it would be 3 weeks for results. Then possibly further treatment. I can afford the initial treatment and a second potential operation for a further removal but am more concerned about long term if it’s more serious, would the NHS take me back for this treatment 

    Any advice would be very much appreciated 

    thanks