Basal Cell Carcinoma Nose Bridge-APPALLING NHS treatment.

Hi good people.

Long story short, I was referred by my GP to hospital for a photo of a 0.3mm x 0.3mm lesion on the bridge of my nose in July 2023.

I had a photo taken in a Clinic 3 weeks later (was supposed to be no more than 2 weeks according to NICE buy hey ho) but then Health Harmonie forgot about me for 5 months until I called as it was getting bigger.

After complaining, chasing, getting the Ombudsman and MP, all who were totally useless involved, I had a Biopsy but they kept me waiting for 8 weeks for the results. I finally saw a Dermatologist, again after going ballistic at them on the phone as they wanted to offer me an apt 6 week's away, she confirmed that I have a 7mm x 7mm BCC and now am awaiting an apt at the end of March to see a Plastic Surgeon. This will be to excise it or refer me to hospital for MOHS Surgery. 

The thing is this thing is getting bigger and I do not want a simple excision and then have to go through it all again if the results come back that they didn't get all of the Tumour, MOHS is much more reliable.

Can someone please advise for this size of BCC on the nose bridge, as there is hardly any flesh there to patch it up.

Should I push for MOHS or let him remove it if he says he can at the end of March.

I have ZERO faith in the hospital or the NHS to manage this or their Medics, so I'm doing it all myself.

All as the Dermatologist said was to wear Factor 50, how much was she paid for that bit of enlightenment.

Of course if I had £5k spare I could have MOHS next week, but I'm a poor NHS Mental Health Crisis Charge Nurse, so no chance.

Skin Cancer treatment is absolutely SHGOCKING in the miserable UK.

Thanks so much,

Dave.

Parents
  • Similar story.  I saw my GP September 1st 2023 with a lesion on the left side of my forehead. I have had a few BCC's on my face - both eyelids, hairline and one on the other side of my forehead that had spread down to my ear and for which I had to have a skin graft from my chest, so now have no hair in that area.

    I was referred to a GP with a special interest in dermatology, who I had seen before and only offered freezing or cream for BCC's.  He said it was suitable for freezing but, because of the one on the other side of my forehead having spread, I asked to have a biopsy and showed him photos of my previous surgery.  He agreed and I got an appointment months away.  I managed to bring that appointment forward to February this year and as I hadn't got a result by April, I chased this up and was told I was on a waiting list for an appointment to discuss the result of the biopsy!! My friends said this must mean I hadn't got skin cancer. 

    A few weeks later, I got a text which said I was waiting for an appointment and if I did not want this appointment then I should not reply to the text. If I didn't reply within 7 days I would be taken off the list and referred back to my GP!  I did reply and said I wanted the appointment.  I was telephoned later by someone who seemed to think it strange I had replied to the text, but said there was an appointment at the end of June!  

    I managed to get the appointment brought forward to the end of April and at the appointment I was told it was a BCC by another GP with a special interest in dermatology.  She wanted to send my back to the original GP with a special interes I had seen! for cream or freezing  I said I would like the MOHS surgery that I had had on all my facial BCC's at the hospital in the nearest city.  She said I could go to the local hospital for it and I said I did not know they were now doing MOHS surgerty.  She said yes they were doing plastic surgery!!  She referred me to plastic surgery and luckily for me, the hospital realised the mistake and changed it to Dermatology but I am now waiting for an appointment and the bcc is growing,  My GP has sent a letter to try and bring my appointment forward.  I had far better treatment in the days when you could see consultants and not these GPWSIs

  • I finally got a Mohs appointment as I took a cancellation 2 months ago but they would not do the op as my blood pressure was too high!  I am now on a Plastic Surgery waiting list so who knows how long I am going to have to wait now

Reply Children
  • Hi bccsufferer,

    Sorry to hear of your delay. Have you tried calling to see how long the waiting list is? 

    I'm also on the plastic surgery waiting list from when I saw the GP in July. I was in a terrible state about the appearance of my nose. I'm still waiting, but also due to go back to dermatology about my other lesion in February.  I'm wondering if perhaps both might tie in. Doesn't feel right to be moved to the end of another waiting list. 

    Hope you hear soon. Let us know. 

  • It's absolutely shocking isn't it. Dogs get better treatment than we do in this country.

    Take much care and I'll let you know if I get any updates.

  • The plastic surgeon I saw said he couldn't do it so I was referred to Maxillofacial. Cosmetics are not their thing. 

    I hope you hear from them soon.

    I'll keep complaining to Pals and the ombudsman but it gets you nowhere.

    Take much care. 

  • Hi, in early March i had follow up app with derm after surgery in Feb on upper arm to remove 1cm BCC which left 5cm scar. They now confirm 10 lesions in various areas of my body. I am now waiting a surgery app for 1cm BCC on my nose. This is worrying as  i only have  small petite female nose & there is very little flesh & skin, should I prepare myself. I am also told there is along waiting list!

  • Hello Sylver, and thank you for posting.

    It is difficult to wait for appointments. The uncertainty of not knowing how or what might happen next is tough.

    What I can say is that the surgeons are very experienced in removing BCC from the nose. But I can understand you are concerned.

    Take care, and hopefully you will get your appointment through soon.

    Sarah

  • As I had moved home from West to East Yorkshire, when my blood pressure was too high and I could not have the MOHS surgery because of this, the surgeon suggested I had ordinary surgery nearer home and he would write to my local hospital that night and mark it urgent.  I am still waiting. I get texts monthly that ask if I want to stay on the list, answer yes or no!  I rang them and was told I was waiting to see a consultant, not for surgery. I rang the hospital where I went to have the MOHS and asked if I could go back on their list but I was told I would have to go to my GP and get a new referral and that I would be better waiting for the local appointment.  From going to my doctor initially, I have now been waiting nearly 2 years. I have alreay lost a large area of hair from the right side of my face because of long waits in the past and it looks as though the same thing is going to happen now with the left side. 

  • Hello bccsufferer and thanks for your post,

    I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can imagine this must be so frustrating for you.

    I am not sure whether you have talked to Pals and asked them to look in to this for you.

    The other thing you could do is talk your concerns through with your GP and see if there is anyway that they can push your case forward for you.

    From what I have read there is a shortage of dermatologists in the country which does not make your situation any easier. You could also ring and speak to the British Skin foundation and ask their advice about your situation.

    I am not sure if there is an option to go and seek a private opinion. We have some information on our website about private care

    I really hope that you hear something from the clinic soon.

    If you would like to chat any of this through with one of the helpline nurses then you are welcome to give us a call.

    The number to ring is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm.

    All the best,

    Catherine