Lumps between/under breast. Correct referral?

Hi there, I am new to this forum. A few years ago I had a lump under/between my breasts. It didn't hurt or bother me particularly but I mentioned it at my routine scan. The image didn't cover the area where the lump was so I was referred to a breast clinic. The doctor there was clear that it was simply cartilage on the end of a rib and nothing to worry about. In more recent times the lump has spread and is quite painful. I went to the GP who has not seen anything like it before. She thought it may be a sebaceous cyst but referred me to radiology for an ultrasound scan. They refused the referral and said the breast clinic should see me. The breast clinic refused and said a chest wall lump is not their area. Now the GP is referring me to a dermatologist. A month has passed since I saw the GP and I am no further forward. Has anyone else had this experience? I just want to know what referral is best. The lump is on the bra line and uncomfortable much of the time. I never wear underwired bras but even light sports bras cause tenderness on the lump. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks.

Parents
  • Hello Northernwombat and thanks for posting,

    I am sorry to learn that you are no further on in finding out what is causing this lump. 

    As a month has passed, I think it is reasonable to let your GP know you are still waiting and tell her if the lump has changed since she last assessed it. I am not sure if your referral was routine or urgent, but do ask. Unfortunately in the NHS at the moment waiting time targets aren't always being met so see what she can tell you about when you might get seen.

    I think it would probably be worth trying to talk to your GP about going private as well and ask her to confirm that a skin specialist would be the best person to see or, since she originally wanted you to have an ultrasound scan, whether you could pay to have that done if the GP requested it. 

    Private health care can be expensive and costs can easily mount up, so it makes sense to involve your GP and get some estimates too before going ahead with anything. 

    Give us a ring if you want to talk anything over. Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are around weekdays from 9-5.

    Best wishes,

    Julia

  • Hello Julia, thanks very much for your helpful response. The referral to the dermatologist was only made on 12 April and isn't marked urgent on the letter itself, although the referral to the breast clinic was a two week wait one. I wonder whether the radiology department should be told by the GP that their refusal to accept the referral on the basis that the breast clinic was appropriate is actually incorrect. If they know that the breast clinic disagrees with them, perhaps they will reconsider. I will raise this with the GP, as well as the possibility of a private appointment, as you suggest.

    By her own admission, the GP is at a bit of a loss about whether dermatology is the best option but, having been refused referrals to both radiology and the breast clinic, she is trying another avenue. It's just frustrating to be passed around!

    Should I be reassured by the words "cancer safety netting" which appear on my GP record?

    Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

  • Update- as five weeks have passed since seeing the GP, and being no further forward, I saw a private doctor this evening and had an ultrasound scan. The lump is a "huge cyst" and needs removing asap so I am having it done privately next Thursday.

  • Hello Northernwombat and thanks for the update,

    I am glad to know that your lump is a cyst (fluid filled sac) and that you on the road to getting it sorted out. I hope things go smoothly on Thursday. 

    Take care,

    Julia

  • Thanks very much, Julia. The doctor is pretty sure it's a cyst but not 100 percent. However, whatever it is, he's clear that it needs to be removed asap. Obviously it will be analysed once it is removed so hopefully that will be reassuring. Thanks again. I really appreciate your time x

  • Further update,

    Thanks, Julia. My lump was removed on 27 April. The initial biopsy showed it was definitely not a sebaceous cyst after all. Further tests are being carried out to assess whether it was fibromatosis or low grade sarcoma. The results are taking so long, I am feeling rather apprehensive but I am seeing the surgeon this coming Tuesday evening and should receive them then. Feeling further disappointed that I have had to pay privately for all this.

     

  • Yeah, kinda shocking you've had to pay out of pocket because departments were all playing pass the parcel, at your expense. If it does turn out to be a sarcoma, I'd be having words with the GP, and find out where all this went wrong. The onus is on the patient to seek medical help in the first instance, the onus is then on the treating doctors to get you into the NHS system.

    Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, but you should never have been put in this situation. Fair enough if it was just a long wait due to waiting time etc, but it seems they just all gave up trying to place you in the correct department.

  • Thanks so much for your supportive reply. It's really clear that, if I hadn't taken matters into my own hands, I'd still be no further forward. Will see what happens on Tuesday. Thanks again. 

Reply Children
No Data